Monday, February 10, 2014

discipline..



This school year has been very different for me having two kids in school. Up to this point I've learned how Allison handles her teachers, her school work, friends, discipline etc.  Having Cooper at school is a whole different ball game.  Cooper is a very smart kid but still immature.  He struggles not with class work but with listening, following directions, and being to social. It's really a daily battle of conversations with Cooper to be on his best behavior, listen to your teacher, and please make good choices! This is something I never dealt with Allison. Unlike Allison Cooper catches on very quickly in any type of subject and he masters it.  This is the root to his issue. He has already grasped the lesson/instruction so he's bored!!  Last week was a hard week for my Cooper James, the teacher wrote a note home.  Now believe me if you know me at all I have a plan set up for rewards and for punishment.  The teacher expressed her concerns of Cooper tuning her out, wandering the class room after he finished his work, and disrupting his class mates. I was seriously feed up!  I let Cooper know he was in trouble and that after I thought about his actions I would add another punishment and we would chat more. I made dinner and stewed on my thoughts. Not only do I know my kid but I have a degree in early childhood education surely I could figure out a sensible solution. I think at that point I was more upset at myself, I felt like a failure as Cooper's mom. (Another important aspect about me, I am a fixer. I absolutely have to find solutions to problems, goals, life challenges.) I took a huge step back.  I said a prayer.  Cleared my head and invited Cooper to color with me.  I said nothing and enjoyed his company.  Hours later before bed I felt prompted to talk to Cooper, although feeling like I hadn't come up with an exact solution I spoke to him anyway.  The rocking chair our spot, I swooped Cooper James into my lap. "My Cooper James" I said "Mommy James" Cooper said.  I then explained to him how much I loved him and how it's my job as his mom to teach him, take care of him, drive him to school/soccer/friends house, to make his meals, buy him clothes and shoes etc.  I told Cooper that going to school is his job to learn, listen, and follow directions.  I cried as I told him how much I loved him, how proud I am of him for being such a loving/helpful big brother to Beckett, how smart he is, how I love his blue eyes, how helpful he is around the house, what a gentlemen he is to me and others.  I then told him I don't like to punish him I like rewarding him for making good choices.  Cooper was crying with me at this point. He wrapped his arms around my neck.  He told me he loved more than anybody in the world even all of Tokyo and he promised to try his hardest to be good.  The next morning he got up and got dressed with out my constant reminders.  He ate his breakfast fast and said "I am ready to go to school to be good.  "He was about thirty minutes ahead of schedule!  At the ended of the day when I picked him up, his teacher said he was perfect!  I am sure we will have more good and bad days ahead.  I am so thankful for my Heavenly Fathers love and guiding spirit that helped me with this situation.  I love being a mother and there is no where I would rather be then in the middle of the chaos of my crew.

1 comment:

  1. What a great mommy you are. And no one can help but love that sweet baby blues

    ReplyDelete