Monday, April 29, 2013

Autism walk and Emergency room visit




I drove into Midland on Friday afternoon so I could participate in the Autism awareness walk Saturday morning.  My friend Jessica, her oldest son is on the autism spectrum.  I meet Jessica almost 5 years ago when our boys were babies.  Jessica was my walking buddy when we lived in Midland.  I supported and walk the Autism walk in 2010 and 2011, but last year with the combination of being 8 months pregnant and Allison's birthday I didn't attend the walk.  This year I was determined to walk!  I am so glad I made it this year, there was an amazing turn out!  This years walk was held at the centennial plaza in down town Midland.  There were several blocks, that were blocked off specifically for the walk.  So many company's vendors, families, and friends were out in attendance all in the name of Autism!!  I was able to walk with my friend Jessica's parents, both of Jessica's sons, and Jessica's mother in law.  Along with hundreds if not thousands of people!  At one point at the end of the mile I looked back and what a sight of people behind me.  One of my favorite things about the walk is each team makes there own autism awareness shirt.  Some of my favorite shirts were the angry bird, keep calm, and the star wars inspired Yoda shirt! 




I made it back to Hobbs shortly before five.  On our way out of town I grabbed chickfila which the kids ate before falling asleep and sleeping the whole way back to Hobbs.  The kids had been so good the whole day when we drove into town I decided to pick them up ice cream and take them to the park to play.  We weren't even at the park ten minutes when Cooper got hurt.  Allison was on this piece of playground equipment where you stand and hold on to these medal bars with your hands and jump.  Cooper decided to climb on.  Allison jumped up and Cooper nearly fell.  Richard told Allison to stop and for Cooper to get down.  Well Allison jumped again and Cooper bounced up and hit the lower back of his head on the metal bar.  He immediately began to cry so hard he wasn't breathing.  We saw a huge knot with blood in it on his cerebellum.  Richard looked at me and said he thought it was serious enough to take him to the hospital.  Cooper immediately began to act drowsy.  It was a long stay at the ER.  While we were waiting for the ER Doctor Cooper asked me to take a picture.  (I love this picture because it shows how dark his hair has gotten but you can still see the light blond at the front of his hair)  I was trying to distract him and keep his cognitive skills alert so I obliged,  little did I know what he was asking.  Cooper quickly told me "No mom a picture of my boo boo!"  The little guy wanted to see a picture of his knot.  I never did get the picture because the Dr came in and tested several of Cooper's developmental skills.  She also looked him over, and concluded a mild concussion.  We were discharged after a long wait and with strict instructions to watch him closely the next 24 hours, place ice for thirty minutes on/off for 24 hours, and to wake him every two hours through out the night, and explained the worst case scenarios.

We survived the 24 hours and Cooper seems fine, thank goodness!  Hopefully I can keep him less active this week to continue to heal!!!


1 comment:

  1. Poor little guy. I bet you guys were so scared! Cooper seemed to take it like a champ. Glad he is better!

    ReplyDelete